Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Getting the Datsun running



Unloaded the truck easily at home and pushed it back on the side of my house for the real work to begin. It cranks good and has a strong battery but is not firing at all. I checked the spark by using a spare spark plug and removing one plug wire at a time and checking for spark. There is only a little yellow spark not a bright one. I tested the coil using some instructions online and found that the coil did not match the correct specs that it should have. I got a new coil and swapped it in easily but I was still not getting a good spark. Oops no new coil needed, I guess I will have a spare. 
Troubleshooting did not go very well so I called in some reinforcements with better tools. 

I have figured out its not the ignition at all. With the help of an inline spark tester it finally shows a good spark. I guess holding the spark plug on the valve cover was not quite good enough way to test.
 
We used a compression tester next and the best cylinder was at 15 psi and the worst was about 1 psi.   I find it hard to believe an engine could get this bad in each cylinder so I am going to take off the valve cover and test valve lash and check the timing chain to see if it has slipped a tooth or something like that.  Sounds like worst case I will be getting to learn how to rebuild an engine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment